Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turbofreek

2015 1500 Ram 5.7 Tow Capacity....really???

47 posts in this topic

im truck shopping today. drove a 15 ram. is the tow capacity really only 7500lbs?? seems pretty sad really. i cant use that to tow shit but a john boat. tell me its a mistake and its really 11k lbs. please tell me im mistaken so i can buy this 2015 ram for 29k out the door.

or ill be forced to buy a silverado that could actually tow something with an engine in it on a trailer.

how well does it do? im coming from a 5.4 long bed extended cab 09 ford that towed like a diesel...yea right. lol

i just want to make sure i get a truck that will fit the bill of a 28ft enclosed a 3500lb car and golf cart with tools across the states in the midwest without issues for a long time.

i see the 8spd trans has a higher tow capacity by 2k pounds over the 6spd. interesting, but still only 8500lbs

put a deposit on this one but its refundable no biggy.

http://www.landmarkdodgechryslerjeepmissouri.com/new/Ram/2015-Ram-1500-independence-70ba839b0a0a00de2ec3e143cfdeca01.htm

Look at the gearing....3.92's yield the highest tow loads.  You'll see how gearing affects towing capacity across every brand.  

For instance Hemi 5.7 and 3.21's = 8,650#.  Hemi 5.7 + 3.92's = 10,800#

My Ram has the 5.7, 3.92 and 8-speed.  Lovely combo IMO....great power & towing capacity to boot.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

With a 28 foot enclosed trailer and a big ass heavy car I wouldn't plan on a 1/2 ton truck.  My minimum would be a 3/4 ton. I pulled my empty 28' enclosed home with my 3/4 dodge.  No problems as far a power, but every time a semi passed me, it was time to pucker up and hold on.  I added a weight distribution hitch and sway bar to the tongue.  It helped, but I now use a 1 ton dually to tow it and couldn't be happier.  Very stable, even in cross wind situations.

Also in a panic stop situation, the 1/2 is not going to fair well, with a big heavy trailer pushing it.

Just my .02 for what ever it's worth.

With a 28 foot enclosed trailer and a big ass heavy car I wouldn't plan on a 1/2 ton truck.  My minimum would be a 3/4 ton. I pulled my empty 28' enclosed home with my 3/4 dodge.  No problems as far a power, but every time a semi passed me, it was time to pucker up and hold on.  I added a weight distribution hitch and sway bar to the tongue.  It helped, but I now use a 1 ton dually to tow it and couldn't be happier.  Very stable, even in cross wind situations.

Also in a panic stop situation, the 1/2 is not going to fair well, with a big heavy trailer pushing it.

Just my .02 for what ever it's worth.

x2

ive pulled a 28ft for years with an f150 or silverado 5.3ls no issues ever. they both did a great job towing and stopping. this is a daily vehicle as well. im not a gangster to be able to park a 2500hd and use only for towing once a month at most. i need a driver to fit a bill of multiple uses like my f150 before this did. even with 260k miles my ford worked like a champion towing a big trailer. you guys dont give me much confidence in the ram 1500 to do anything for me but look pretty.

It will pull the 28'. Is it ideal? No. You are going to want a good weight distributing hitch, Airbags in the rear springs and hopefully with the car over the axles your tongue weight should sit around 800lbs. Trust me I get it..... lol

IMG_20120927_165401.jpg

Just an FYI......I pulled a 28' as well with that red Express. Still pull the enclosed from time to time but now with a CC 1500.

11062252_921110381306131_508666199116161

I have a 2014 RAM 1500 5.7 3.55 gears and 8 spd tranny.  It hauls my 28' enclosed with 2800 lb. car and lots of tools/etc. all day long!

You will need to get airbags for the rear springs, they cost about $85 as I recall.  Stops just fine, and I've had to hit it hard many times due to stupid people on the road.  Semi's do make it sway a little, but it doesn't freak me out.....

Of course a 2500 or 3500 would be better if you've got the jingle (or if you win the powerball)

ive pulled a 28ft for years with an f150 or silverado 5.3ls no issues ever. they both did a great job towing and stopping. this is a daily vehicle as well. im not a gangster to be able to park a 2500hd and use only for towing once a month at most. i need a driver to fit a bill of multiple uses like my f150 before this did. even with 260k miles my ford worked like a champion towing a big trailer. you guys dont give me much confidence in the ram 1500 to do anything for me but look pretty.

So all you're saying is your a dumb fucker. I'll agree yanking around that much trailer can be done with a 1/2ton. It's stopping and frame flex where's there's a problem. Exceeding the tow limitations of a given vehicle can grt your ass in a world of shit should you have a major accident. The dodge offers the 10k rating with the 3:92 package and the motor / trans will take it. But it sucks towing that length with a short wheel base even with all the right hitch shit. As for going deisel hey that's great if it makes senses, but only towing a couple times a year doesn't make it worth the cost of admission anymore.

ive used a tahoe to tow as well no issues either. do have load displacment and anti sway on my setup. cantl barely tell the trailer is behind anything ive towed with. i am not talking bumper towing or even cheap reciever hitch. i have a big adjustable hitch i have double axle brakes on all trailers is a god send. i can stop my entire tow setup with the trailer in a hurry and set it up accordingly. even my open trailer is setup this way cuz of knowing of using a 1500 series tow vehicle.

sure wish i was a baller like you guys. looks like ill buy the longer stronger chevy then. wonder why the f150 out sells the dodge. cost vs performance of the entry level trucks

So all you're saying is your a dumb fucker. I'll agree yanking around that much trailer can be done with a 1/2ton. It's stopping and frame flex where's there's a problem. Exceeding the tow limitations of a given vehicle can grt your ass in a world of shit should you have a major accident. The dodge offers the 10k rating with the 3:92 package and the motor / trans will take it. But it sucks towing that length with a short wheel base even with all the right hitch shit. As for going deisel hey that's great if it makes senses, but only towing a couple times a year doesn't make it worth the cost of admission anymore.

oh and i have NOT exceeded the tow limits of any of my past vehicles. which is why the frustration with dodge being thousamds of pounds less capable than ford or chevy. it is baffling to me.

this is a base silverado im also looking at.

Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.: 11500Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.: 1725Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.: - TBD -Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.: - TBD -Maximum Trailering Capacity: 11500Engine Type: Gas/Ethanol V8Fuel System: Direct InjectionEngine Order Code: L83Displacement: 5.3L/325SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM: 355 @ 5600SAE Net Torque @ RPM: 383 @ 4100

I don't know why I get sucked into your posts but all you need to do is a little research at www.ramtrucks.com and you will find the Ram has a max tow rating of 10,800lbs when properly equipped. You can even find out what the difference is based on various configurations here

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

The second page actually lists max tow up to 10,800lbs... Just like nolimits76 posted. Its axle ratio (3.21, 3.55, or 3.92), drive configuration (4x2 or 4x4), cab configuration (reg, quad, crew) and bed size (5'7", 6'4", or 8') dependent, just like the Chevy is I'm sure...

jersey ive been searching all damn day for tow capacity of the rams. it keeps coming up with 8450 with the 392 gears. ive also b3en shopping for a truck as i only have till tomorrow to get one. before my rental coverage is up. all on top of working as well. so ive been a busy person today.

will a ram engine and trans handle 270k miles in 6yrs to boot?

I had a Ram 1500 before I got the 3500 the 1500 would pull anything I hooked to it. I use my truck for work and I tow daily, I was turning work away because I couldn't launch a few boats safely on a wet ramp with tourist around ( not knowing where their at and getting in the way ) hence the 3500.

Compare apples to apples would be my advice. Buying a automobile in a hurry isn't a good ideal IMHO

yea i have been looking bits here and there the last 2 weeks at trucks. just didnt get the go till today they totaled my truck for certain. i have till saturday to buy one. i was looking at buying an rt durango and not buying an enclosed trailer again. i currently have an open trailer but love the shade of the enclosed in the summer months for low shade race tracks. i guess this year ill just canopy over the open and save up for a better edge enclosed trailer in 17 or so.

i wont be buying a ram though. i have spent the last hour or so reading complaints of tranmission, wiring, and rust issues on the new trucks right off the lots with low miles. seems many have been at the dealer vs in the driveway more often. so im gonna buy a silverado from tomorrow or the next day. i drove one i liked tonight that was a demo and has about 12k off the sticker. another tomorrow has 10 off msrp and is pretty nice and not a demo. both with in 2k of one another but 3k miles apart on the odo. i really love the looks of the dodge but reliability for work is way more important when the warranty will be gone in a year or 2 at most.

yea i have been looking bits here and there the last 2 weeks at trucks. just didnt get the go till today they totaled my truck for certain. i have till saturday to buy one. i was looking at buying an rt durango and not buying an enclosed trailer again. i currently have an open trailer but love the shade of the enclosed in the summer months for low shade race tracks. i guess this year ill just canopy over the open and save up for a better edge enclosed trailer in 17 or so.

i wont be buying a ram though. i have spent the last hour or so reading complaints of tranmission, wiring, and rust issues on the new trucks right off the lots with low miles. seems many have been at the dealer vs in the driveway more often. so im gonna buy a silverado from tomorrow or the next day. i drove one i liked tonight that was a demo and has about 12k off the sticker. another tomorrow has 10 off msrp and is pretty nice and not a demo. both with in 2k of one another but 3k miles apart on the odo. i really love the looks of the dodge but reliability for work is way more important when the warranty will be gone in a year or 2 at most.

Trader JS

Mopar or no car IMHO

You do know the new reengineered Chevy's have a heated tail gate don't you? ( keeps your hands warm while your pushing it )

Ford's are made out of aluminum for the same reason! Plus2274eadcf9f809c69acf70edca4dbb97.jpg

You get this, but I'd tell you to buy a dog. So you don't have to walk alone!