Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turbofreek

2015 1500 Ram 5.7 Tow Capacity....really???

47 posts in this topic

my ford had 274,000 miles on it with the original acc belt even on it. the stock spark plugs made it 240k miles.

Acc belts and spark plugs... At least they've got that going for them!! :)

no i mean i punished that truck and the only mechanical failure i had was the driver wheel bearing at about 130k miles and a fuel pump at 220k miles. both i changed in my driveway easy peezy.

I've owned Chevy / GMC 3/4 ton for years and they towed everything flawlessly. A 6.0L with the 4L80E trans, trans cooler, heavy duty alternator, full set of gauges etc. I had a 98 Durango 5.9 and the trans would constantly hunt for gears. My suburban and now my yukonxl powers up the hills no problem. 108 degree heat through deserts hauling camping trailers or cars, both air conditioners running...flawless. It's the only tow vehichle I'll ever own.

I factory ordered my 3/4 ton 2 wd suburban built for towing with 4.1 rear ( loose the 400 lbs for the 4wd ). My Yukon xl has 3.73 gears and is a 4wd and isn't rated at the same, so we will see how she does over time.

There's a lot more that comes with a 3/4 ton rigged for towing than a 1500. My buddy had a 1500 and kept up over the mountains but his temps were higher, had no idea of his trans temp etc.

At 274k miles on the Ford the original plugs were there cause they were sized in the heads and you were afraid to pull them. I had 5.4s too :D

nope i was afraid of that which is shy they never got changed till then. when i finally broke down to have it done cuz it nagged me in the back of my head. i picked up the plugs. they where the peanut plugs. took me about 40 minutes to do all 8 in my driveway kn a sunny saturday afternoon.

20150529_192504_zps692vg9oa.jpg

Mmmmmm... Love a big gap. :)

still towed a trailer and the 50 f1 432 miles strait like that picture as i changed them when i got back home the next day or damn near that.

well signed the papers for a 15 silverado tonight. have to get my gap claim in the am and a pic of my fords title for a 1000 more off. then its mine to bring home. silver in color. its a great basic truck with tow capacity maxed. no fancy stuff. my ford had a bunch of shit and i lost out with it. not gonna buy a upper level truck to just have nothing in the end. 26,9 is better than 44,5 any day of the week. in the end they both do the same damn thing a > b and back.

My 12 tows everything I have just fine, but I am always tempted towards a 3/4. Only issue is that my truck is my daily driver and parallel parking downtown is already a PITA. 

As to quality, I've had numerous Fords, and Dodges, but no Chevys in a very long time (70's) and I must say (painfully) that my Titan was actually the best truck I've owned overall. Shame the ones they sell today are nearly identical to the ones from 2004 with only a few minor upgrades, but I guess that says something for the build. 

interesting but ive seen a toyota truck fold in half at the cab/bed meeting location. one of my techs trucks did that to him when he went to get it serviced some years ago. the pic was epic on the net for some time. ive never even looked at one due to that issue. thie frames are just to small and thin to consider them for towing anything besides a bumper.

towing and service is why i went with this chevy.

interesting but ive seen a toyota truck fold in half at the cab/bed meeting location. one of my techs trucks did that to him when he went to get it serviced some years ago. the pic was epic on the net for some time. ive never even looked at one due to that issue. thie frames are just to small and thin to consider them for towing anything besides a bumper.

towing and service is why i went with this chevy.

My son and I saw the exact same thing on a 1/2 ton megacab dodge, cept it was bent upwards. Whatever they loaded on the tongue killed that truck. 50g's down the tubes.

My son and I saw the exact same thing on a 1/2 ton megacab dodge, cept it was bent upwards. Whatever they loaded on the tongue killed that truck. 50g's down the tubes.

That had to be a hell of a load. The 1500 Mega Cab's were built on the 2500 chassis. 

I'd loved to seen the look on the guy's face when he realized what happened. I bet he had the load from hell on a standard hitch, meaning no load leveler and drove it. And I bet the more he drove and bounced around the funnier it felt driving. I wish I could have gotten a picture but the fucking kid was too busy texting as I'm going "check that out, get a picture!!"

We were up at lake naciento outside paso Robles. For afternoon fun I'd kick it at launch ramp n pound a couple while watching the amateur s attempt retrieving their boats cause the ramp was extra steep. So it's about 9 and almost pitch black out and this pontoon dudes buddy is getting this guys brand new paper plated ford crew cab backed into the water. The owner in the boat kept saying, keep coming, keeeep it coming and this dude did. All the way to where the water line was a couple inch above the bottom of the front leading edge of the drivers door. I'll never forget how badly the seals leaked on those doors. While he was pulling out it was like my own little personal water falls pouring out of the cab, fucking beautiful I tells ya :)

Boat ramps have got to be one of the best free entertainment venues there is. A bar overlooking a public boat ramp makes it even better. We have one here on Hudson River with a floating boat/bar right along side of it, I've had many laughs at others expense over the years. 

I can never get over those square wheel wells., nice truck otherwise

you know whats funny. i didnt even look at the truck. not kidding. i drove it around to see how it felt and ran down the road. didnt even check it over still to this moment and ive owned it for 36 hours or so. i drove it all day today even. didnt even look to see how the body lines looked. probably should do that im guessing. lol gon a paint the wheels black or get another set of aluminum and powder coat them black.