Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Yellow Jacket

Which Strut Tower Brace Would You Get?

60 posts in this topic

Doesn't look very stout to me. They are taking all of the load into bent sheet metal and it doesn't tie to the firewall area like the Mopar or RE.

Check out the connection at the ends of the Mopar brace for comparison.

Structural integrity wise, the Speed Logics/RE brace hands down.

That's what I hear, but who has tested it?  I work with structural steel for a living, so even though I'm not an engineer, I know a little bit about steel. Without knowing the direction of the loads being transferred, I can't say which design is better.  Neither could my friend that has a masters in Engineering.  He also deals in structural steel.

I have to assume that Mopar put some thought into their design.

That's what I hear, but who has tested it?  I work with structural steel for a living, so even though I'm not an engineer, I know a little bit about steel. Without knowing the direction of the loads being transferred, I can't say which design is better.  Neither could my friend that has a masters in Engineering.  He also deals in structural steel.

I have to assume that Mopar put some thought into their design.

I doubt MOPAR looked to much further than $$ when you consider the POS tube they attached it to.

Just so everyone knows - if you look at a Mopar '10 - the rear brace is made by REM and you can order it direct from Mopar as well. 

http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product_p/p5155751.htm

is:

http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product_p/sx-lxlc-rst4.htm

And the only reason the Mopar 11 and ups use a different one is because Chrysler didn't realize REM made the Arched versions as well. 

Now, I know this is about Front Braces...but Mopar obviously liked our Rear Brace enough to use it :)

I still stand behind - why drill into something that is bolted into something else? Why not cut the middle man out and bolt right to the car? Every way I see it - four points of solid connection to the car will always be better than bolting into something that is then bolted into something else :)

I am not an engineer or anything like that so I can only go off what I see. In a side to side motion - a bar that is connected to the car in four points (solid connections) will out perform a bar that is only bolted into another brace that is bolted onto the car. 

Now, the Mopar brace will help the cars integrity - I just don't see it doing a better job than the design we use in the long run. 

My whole point is that the RE has not been tested to my knowledge. Perhaps the MOPAR hasn't either.  I don't think you can eyeball them and say that one is better.

I have now had two engineers look at both designs.  I'm not trying to downgrade the effectiveness of the RE piece, but I see a lot of people being critical of the MOPAR piece.  Unfortunately, MOPAR doesn't have engineers reviewing forum posts and defending their position.

I'll leave it at that unless you want to get into more detail.

I went with the Mopar front and rear braces and also added a Petty subframe connector. I play around in the autocross world and wanted my car to handle real tight. I added adjustable coil overs at all four corners do I can dial in some ride comfort when not on the rack and also go the other way when needed. My SRT when fialed up is like a slot car when banging hard though twisty's. I love the feel. This car has zero flex or deflection from the suspension making her big fat ass handle like a supermodel.