Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Adanac Charger

Edelbrock Or Whipple On A 2014 Ram (5.7, 4X4, 8 Spd, 3.92) ??

I'll start by saying that I have no desire to open this motor up or add any other mods.

So...

Will the bottom end of the 5.7 live with some boost?

If so, how much??

If so, Edelbrock or Whipple???

Thanks!

I think I would use a centric on a truck. 

Either blower would work, as either is capable of delivering a lethal amount of boost to a 5.7 (>8lbs). Trick is to resist temptation to go there.... 

IMO, the 5.7 is one of the strongest Hemi's that are out there capable of 8 lbs boost without any problems. There are a couple of Challengers I know that are close to 10 lbs. (They do not beat on the cars at the track every weekend) EIther blower will get you to a safe 8 psi with a good tune. I was at 8.5 psi on the Daytona for about a year before the stroker. It is quiet and a sleeper. But you can only take the E force so far before it max's out. (around 10 - 11.5 lbs) If no additional engine mods are in the future I would go with the cheaper of the two.

The Whipple will be begging for more boost but it sure looks pretty in the engine bay.

I think I would use a centric on a truck. 

Either blower would work, as either is capable of delivering a lethal amount of boost to a 5.7 (>8lbs). Trick is to resist temptation to go there.... 

Interesting... I would have thought the low-end torque of the PD blower would be better than a centri in one of these heavy-ass trucks.  I need to do some reading.

IMO, the 5.7 is one of the strongest Hemi's that are out there capable of 8 lbs boost without any problems. There are a couple of Challengers I know that are close to 10 lbs. (They do not beat on the cars at the track every weekend) EIther blower will get you to a safe 8 psi with a good tune. I was at 8.5 psi on the Daytona for about a year before the stroker. It is quiet and a sleeper. But you can only take the E force so far before it max's out. (around 10 - 11.5 lbs) If no additional engine mods are in the future I would go with the cheaper of the two.

The Whipple will be begging for more boost but it sure looks pretty in the engine bay.

I should also add that I do want to beat on it. :)

Maybe a little less than 8PSI is the number. :(

Wasn't it more of an issue of the trans holding up to the added power in the trucks?

On the RFE's yes. Not the 8spds.

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

Interesting... I would have thought the low-end torque of the PD blower would be better than a centri in one of these heavy-ass trucks.  I need to do some reading.

I would just think that the smooth onset of boost would be better in a truck than the instant thump of a PD blower, It would seem like being able to better modulate the power delivery would be desirable. Of course it likely depends on what you do with your truck. Mine is tromping around at job sites, or parking downtown, or dragging a trailer around the country. 

My 5.7 maggified Hemi is still alive and kicking. I run 8 lbs street and 10 lbs track. I used to do about a dozen passes annually. With the blower cam and a soft OST tune, it delivers 550 RWLHP. Not racing this year. Saving the NAG. Starting to slip between 2-3 gears at WOT.

If I was to do it all over again, I would Whipple it.

Do the Whipple but also beef the trans a bit with a big cooler, deep pan and blue tops.

Stay at 8 lbs and you should be good.

Stevo  

I would just think that the smooth onset of boost would be better in a truck than the instant thump of a PD blower, It would seem like being able to better modulate the power delivery would be desirable. Of course it likely depends on what you do with your truck. Mine is tromping around at job sites, or parking downtown, or dragging a trailer around the country. 

Thanks.  I probably treat mine more like a car than a truck... It spends most of its time just rippin' around town and the local back roads. The occasional tow or load in the box.

My 5.7 maggified Hemi is still alive and kicking. I run 8 lbs street and 10 lbs track. I used to do about a dozen passes annually. With the blower cam and a soft OST tune, it delivers 550 RWLHP. Not racing this year. Saving the NAG. Starting to slip between 2-3 gears at WOT.

If I was to do it all over again, I would Whipple it.

Do the Whipple but also beef the trans a bit with a big cooler, deep pan and blue tops.

Stay at 8 lbs and you should be good.

Stevo  

Yours is one of the builds that I was thinking about, Stevo. It seems to be holding up well to a heavy foot.

Thanks. I probably treat mine more like a car than a truck... It spends most of its time just rippin' around town and the local back roads. The occasional tow or load in the box.

Yours is one of the builds that I was thinking about, Stevo. It seems to be holding up well to a heavy foot.

Remember though, you would need to check on what is out there for a deep pan. Pretty sure you can get a larger cooler, and the blue tops don't apply to your situation. Motor will live just fine on 8lbs.

Remember though, you would need to check on what is out there for a deep pan. Pretty sure you can get a larger cooler, and the blue tops don't apply to your situation. Motor will live just fine on 8lbs.

There is a guy on another forum who Whippled his Durango. Motor and trans are living just fine